Thursday, April 24, 2008

Drip Drip Drop

How much do you like cleaning out the shower stall?

Do you lie in bed at night and think, “Golly, I hope I have the chance to scrub that shower tomorrow”?
Me neither. Hate it. Hate it more than I hate someone trying to convince me that sugar free chocolate tastes the same as regular chocolate.

So, I was taught a tip (from an old boyfriend’s mom and at the time I thought she was a little eccentric... hmmm, that’s something to think about now) to keep that serious cleaning job at bay and I have been doing it for 20 some-odd years.

First, and you’re not going to like this, you have to do a thorough cleaning. Use your lime/scale/mold remover-- whatever it takes and give every bit of elbow grease you have (oh, and btw, for those of you worrying about our ecological footprints-- this may not be the blog for you. I am stomping around with cleats when it comes to getting my house clean).*

Give it a good rinse. If you have hard water, you may want to swing by this site first for tips on cleaning the shower head. I promise, you are NOT going to have to do that again for a long time. (Swinging by that site is also a good idea if you have black stuff growing on your grout or sealant).

Hang a squeegee in the shower stall and train your family how to use it (squeegee all surfaces, tile or glass). My nine-year old even squeegees his shower off every time. Believe it or not, it is in a child’s programming to want to help. If you approach this task in a way that he feels he is helping, and praise him when he does it, your job becomes that much easier. My four year-old likes to wipe the base boards. A job I dreaded like the plague because I would either get sore knees or a stiff back every time. Children like to help, so work them like dogs! No Child Labor Enforcer is going to see you let them help.


In addition to imitating a window washer, wipe the faucets with a soft towel. Don’t kid yourself that you’ll come back after you get a towel from the airing cupboard. Keep one in the bathroom. Wipe the faucets and get a little buzz from the sparkle. You could let this shower go for weeks without another chemical if you just do these two steps with every shower.
Sparkling faucets give the impression of clean. And it's all about the impression...

Now, you could sit back and pop a few bonbons, but wouldn’t you rather leave the bathroom first?

Until next time!




9 comments:

Tarasview said...

My mother in law does this too. My problem is that we have a shower curtain, not a stall. Squeegees don't work on the icky disgusting curtain. Stupid curtain.

imbeingheldhostage said...

Into the washer with.... yep, you guessed it, VINEGAR. Don't you wish there was a non-smelly vinegar on the market?

Kellan said...

Great advise - thanks for these great tips!!

Have a good evening - Kellan

Lori said...

what a great tip, and i love your sense of humor:) thanks for popping over to visit me, it was nice to see you there!

Robert said...

I never used to wipe down the shower, but then my wife's bad habits rubbed off on me and now I wipe that darned shower down every day, as well as the faucets and shiny bits. I have to admit, it is nice to have a clean shower to walk into every day.

Squeakers said...

lol My mom has us do that! lol... well for one of the showers that is lol

Lainey-Paney said...

you know what I do?
Well, I hate cleaning the bathtub & shower.
Hubby loves baths.
So, sometimes, after I shower, I sprinkle (or...pour) Comet ALL OVER the bathtub & shower walls while they're wet, so it sticks.
That way, Hubby will scrub it before he takes a bath. He has to.

....I'm just snarky enough to do that to him.

Annie said...

I love cleaning tips around the house. I love to watch the BBC show "how clean is your house". They give great tips also!

Envoy-ette said...

I'm a tight-wad, but I've thought about hiring someone to clean my shower anyway. (and around the toilet base)